Monday 14 May 2012

Peaceful excitement


Besides loneliness, boredom has bothered me as long as I can remember. I could not understand how doing the same thing can make me excited and bore me to death depending on my mood. Putting it this way, I guess the “problem” is me.
My upbringing taught me to deal with personal resistance to conformity by just “holding it in”. This is good advice for things like queuing up or being on time but not personal issues like friendship or career. To live fully, I must understand what my feelings are telling me.
Boredom is often my creative side calling. Restlessness pushes me to seek new ideas, designs, problem solve and talk things out. Sometimes, it’s a call to make more inspiring friends. Bored children sometimes do destructive things because they are trying new ways to entertain without safety or cultural limits. I also get the urge to throw water balloons at pedestrians or put stink bombs in country club restaurants….just to get a laugh. If only there were no consequences.
I have concluded that I have no fixed solutions to boredom. But this is OK if it can push us to new ideas and solutions. The feelings I look for are peace, joy and love as I am making decisions. Sounds corny or even religious, right?
Before you roll your eyes or say amen, I have found that wrong decisions are about struggling and finding the best personal path forward must leave me feeling both excited and at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment