Saturday 19 May 2012

Looking the same.

Looking the same. Many people say that about me. Maybe it's because I've always looked this old. Meryl Streep said she always felt 40, I may have always looked 40. Except I'll be 50 this year.
This is not about the number or how I feel about subjective looks. I don't doubt some people think I look ugly but others have said I looked handsome. One thing I always knew is that I never looked average so avoided invitations to do TV ads.
I had the feeling that I'd be too recognizable.
What has changed recently is that I don't mind so much. The Internet has made many celebrities look almost the same and gave us so many of them.
I'm also comfortable with myself maybe for the first time. If I could only remember the name of the speaker who told us at Morrison house one summer in ancient Causeway Bay, to look at ourselves naked in the mirror until we can accept who we saw. It took me 35 years of looking....and I still look the same. For better or worse.
I would tell that preacher today: I only know I am rich in Life. And hope it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment