Thursday 17 May 2012

Locally international


My foot is nearly healed. It never affected walking except I had to shield it from infection. So to avoid getting wet or stepped on, I restrict how much I go outside.
I can go to the office or work at home, but I don’t take long walks in crowds or eat at hawker stalls. Actually, I haven’t missed much. Now I’m nearly free of any mobility restrictions. I can look back at how it actually affected me.
Most of the public noise and chatter was screened out of my day. I was left with the essential items of life and work. The internet keeps me up to date with news, friends, and entertainment. I continued to get and start new work, like this blog. Boredom did set in very early on but I did not go out for parties or drinks. I sorted through the mess of photos, writing, movies and things at home. When I really needed social relief, friends came to my home or invited me to theirs. I missed nothing essential except for the noise that keeps us busy.
One of my overseas friends used to make whirlwind international trips and midnight teleconferences but was moved to a more local job with US clients. I’m still in contact with him through messaging and an occasional Skype call. It makes me think the new norm should be going deeper in local life while being able to stay internationally connected.
I had a job for 2 years which had me 2 weeks in London and 2 in Hong Kong. It was good money but hell on my body clock and friendships. The same job now would not require the same kind of travel. I would stay at each place as long as I could before getting on a plane.
It is possible to live like locals in both places while working internationally. I have decided to invest in deeper relationships by avoiding all unnecessary travel, be it a flight to London or a MTR to TST.

No comments:

Post a Comment