Saturday 2 June 2012

Backpacking romance


It was during the cold war, University Summers, Eurorail pass, wandering Paris London Berlin and side trip to Solidarity Poland. I hummed along as a demonstration crowd sang a rewritten national anthem. I had forgotten about the dreams I had in confusing but cultural Europe. People loved good music, good food, social culture and celebrated it so differently in each country.
What I learned has dimmed at little. After going back to the same places since, the feeling is different. Much is improved like air conditioning in the Louvre, Eurostar, a United Berlin and Germany, richer, more cooperation but lost some of its romance. I would like to go back to Warsaw where I rode a horse drawn carriage at midnight with an Italian, Belgian, English and Greek. We chatted about our adventures as hoofs pounded the cobble stone narrow passages in the ancient city. I don't remember seeing anyone in the empty streets; just us, our voices, the quiet night and the sound of our voyage. I doubt a prosperous Poland will offer the same feeling.

I was changed during those months in a time gone by. My memories are still strong because I experienced it mostly by myself even when I was with friends. It may have just been the romance of youth but the truth of the cold war borders, dreams of unity, struggle for democracy, loving our own people, pride in our culture, enjoying company, a little drink... it was real and I know they are all still there in a changed form. There is still inspiration and romance to be found. The luggage will be different and I'll be less alone because I can share it all through my smart-device with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment